Our goal for this vacation was for it to be
- Something interesting, fun, and new to do
So we have decided to hit up some cheap things that are also really cool!
- El Paso, Texas - we're just stopping here for lunch, but this is cool because it is the largest land border crossing to Mexico in the United States. My grandpa was also stationed in El Paso for years, so it'll be cool to see where he and my grandma raised my mom and her siblings.
- White Sands National Monument, White Sands, New Mexico - They test missiles here, so that's why there's a monument. More importantly, we can sled on the sand here, so we'll be doing that and hiking a little bit. https://www.nps.gov/whsa/index.htm
- Roswell, New Mexico - we're stopping here for obvious reasons. There's not actually much to see, but we have to go there because well, Roswell.
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Carlsbad, New Mexico - Since Harlow has been to all 50 states now, one of his new goals is to go to a cave in all 50 states. He's been to a cave in 2 states so far that we've recorded, so this will be number 3. We'll do some hiking here as well.
- San Antonio, Texas - We're gonna be doing a couple of things in San Antonio, the Riverwalk, and more importantly, The Alamo. The Battle of The Alamo was a huge event in the Texas Revolution, and the loss by Texas struck a mighty blow and made Texas what it is today - a part of the USA. Which I'm sure they're sad about. Anways, we all learned about it in school, and it's a cool thing to do.
Harlow has lived around here his entire life, but he has yet to see Roswell, Carlsbad Caverns, or White Sands! I have never actually seen a desert in my life! This will be a cool experience for us both.
We're staying in Ozona, Texas the first night because I hate driving and if we go more than 9 hours I will probably literally start crying. We have the hotels booked in Ozona and Alamogordo, and both were free using our Chase Sapphire Rewards card. All the things we are stopping to see are also free. All we're paying for are meals and hotels Friday and Saturday night. Nice Bonus!
Wednesday night we're going to be in Ozona. Just a driving day.
Thursday afternoon we're going to be in El Paso for lunch, then closely followed by White Sands. We'll spend some time at White Sands. Thursday night will be spent in Alamogordo, New Mexico, about 15 miles from White Sands.
Friday morning we'll see more of White Sands, then drive to Roswell for lunch and museums possibly. Friday night, we will be in Carlsbad.
Saturday morning we'll hike a lil in Carlsbad, then start back towards San Antonio. We can get as far as we want basically, although it'd be real nice to just get to San Antonio that night. There's not a whole lot between Carlsbad and San Antonio except desert anyways.
Sunday we will go to The Alamo, and Riverwalk, and then go back to Lake Charles in time for work on Monday.